Park Road participates directly in these missions programs:
- Room in the Inn – About 10 nights during the winter, we provide housing for the homeless on our campus. Volunteers are needed to set up, drive, cook, spend the night and do laundry. Since 1996, the Urban Ministry Center has partnered with colleges and congregations of many faiths to open their facilities to provide shelter and food for homeless people during the winter months. The simple goal is to keep homeless people from freezing on cold winter nights. A greater goal is to provide a more personal relationship to homeless people, at least for a night, and a deeper understanding of the depth and complexity of the issue.
Sign-up to help here
- Charlotte Family Housing – Four weeks per year Park Road provide meals and overnight hosts for Family Promise at Elizabeth House on Hawthorne Lane. Family Promise’s mission is to help homeless and low-income families achieve sustainable independence. Thirteen Charlotte congregations provide food, shelter, and support services while Family Promise provides advice and advocacy for at-risk families. In 2015, Park Road will serve during the weeks of April 5-9, June 7-11, September 6-10, and November 15-19.
Sign-up to help here
- Uptown Men’s Shelter – members coordinate and serve a meal every other month on Saturdays at the Uptown Men’s Shelter. Volunteers are needed to coordinate meals, purchase food, and serve.
Sign-up to to help here
- Sedgefield Elementary Backpack Snack Program – Each month of the school year we provide up to 100 backpack snacks/week to send home with children as a weekend meal supplement. This team meets monthly and is always looking for help during this fun and interactive packing event on our campus.
- Tea Service - Urban Ministry Center - Park Road hosts a beverage service on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month at the Urban Ministry Center where lunch is served to more than 100 homeless people. If you’d like to help, you need to arrive at 10:45 a.m. and plan to stay until 12:15. Four volunteers are needed each time and you can sign up through our PRBC website. Coordinated by Matt Kinney and Gray Clark.
- Stop Hunger Now- on an annual basis in December, Park Road hosts a packaging event to help end world hunger.
- Burmese Partnership Action Team - Our members get to know the Chin and help them in anyway we can: household items, furniture, etc., including English as a Second Language. This team is doing missional ministry. We are loving God and our neighbors as ourselves.
- QC Family Tree - Periodically, we will assist with this Hospitality House in the Enderly Park area of Charlotte by providing and serving a community meal and/or helping with Household projects such as painting.
- Community Garden Team – create a garden to provide support to the local Loaves and Fishes.
Caring Church Companions (formerly ICU) – Volunteer teams are created, as needed, to provide basic assistance to church members (from home maintenance to financial advice). Volunteers are placed on a list to be called when a need arises.
- PRBC Needlers- A group of church members who share their knitting and sewing skills to create items for the needy, especially for babies and the elderly. Prayer shawls are presented to members of the church and the community who are experiencing difficult situations. Other projects include uniforms of for girls in Haiti, chemo hats, and lap quilts for Levine Children's Hospital and Hospice. Volunteers are needed to knit and sew. No prior experience is necessary – we can teach you.